It’s time to enjoy the warm weather. To kick start the Summer season add one of these summer inspired pieces to your decor.
I attended The 2017 Spring High Point Furniture market with my friend Laura and Madison, an intern from Meredith College. After 15 showrooms, our bags were heavy with vendor literature, despite our pact to not accept brochures.
To save yourself a trip, here’s my quick take-aways:
- Pastel pink, yellow and green fabrics.
- Texture grass cloth is no longer just for walls. I spotted it on dining room cabinets, bedroom dressers and end tables.
- Floral pattern fabrics reminiscent of English gardens on pillows and furniture.
- Coastal themes (which you know I love) abound in artwork and accessories.
- I saw iconic Mid Century Modern furniture trend, ala “Mad Men.” The look is stylish, but the chairs tend to be uncomfortable because of the deep angle of the chair seat. I always prioritize comfort first.
It’s time to select your home’s exterior paint colors. Are you feeling overwhelmed by the countless color choices? Do you make trips to the paint store only to find yourself more confused. Are you accumulating numerous paint samples from the store?
Here are three things to consider when choosing exterior paint colors for your home.
Architectural Style: Is your home a Craftsman bungalow? Mid-century modern ranch? New American Style? (combination several styles) Choose colors appropriate for your homes architectural style.
Planned Community Architectural Board Guidelines: Read and understand your community’s Architectural board guidelines before selecting exterior paint colors. Stand outside your home. Look to the left, then to the right and across the street. Most community’s will not allow similar paint colors to your immediate neighbors.
Three Colors: A house will have several paintable parts. The main body of your house, shutters, trim, doors, and windows. A nice look is when you choose three colors, one for the main body of your home, trim and shutter and doors.
Recently it was time to paint the exterior of our home. My husband asked me how I choose the colors so quick. It told him it was simple. I picked colors that will make me smile every time I turn into our long winding driveway. Home Sweet Home!
Today was the big reveal for the Carrboro kitchen remodel. It began back in December 2015 when Amy contacted me. Her current kitchen layout simply did not work. Husband Jeff loves to cook, but the kitchen lacked prep space and not enough room for two people to share the kitchen at the same time. When you opened the refrigerator doors you hit the oven wall. The kitchen cabinetry was dark and dreary.
Amy’s dream kitchen, clean white painted cabinets, light countertops, white farm sink and gas stove for her husband. There was one caveat, I had to reuse the existing dark cabinetry. Tall order but doable.
On every project I always seem to have a “favorite thing”. The pantry doors won the coveted award. They are unique and so colorful.
Enjoy the before and after pictures.
AFTER REFRIGERATOR WALL
BEFORE PANTRY WALL
Just returned from the Spring 2016 High Point Furniture Market. Two hot trends this market, think Mad Men, with many of the major furniture companies introducing a Mid Century Modern furniture collection. While Bedding and Art work companies are introducing a Let’s go to the Beach or Lake Cabin inspired theme collection, with Indigo Blue colors mixed with Bright whites, yellows and pinks. Think Lilly Pulitzer fun, bright colors.
Make a budget. Add a 10-15% contingency dollar amount. Surprises happen; The plumber finds a corrosive pipe requiring replacing, or you can’t stop thinking about the expensive, gorgeous gray marble bathroom tile. Be prepared to make design selection trade-offs.
Set a reasonable timeframe for project completion. How many of us have watched countless episodes of HGTV design shows and believe a bathroom remodel can be completed in 60 minutes? I wish I could say it’s true.
Life happens. The farm sink you ordered from a reputable vendor calls you to break the bad new “the sink has been delayed at least 2 weeks”. Do you still want to wait?
Living in the House. Just remember there will be daily inconveniences. A bathroom sink may turn into a temporary dish washing area for weeks during a kitchen remodel.
Hiring Trade Professionals. Know when to hire a trade professional for the job. Ensure they have the required qualifications for the project. Ask for referrals.
1. Mixing various materials, finishes and colors in the kitchen.
2. The Kitchen island will be the workhorse in the kitchen. Most will have at least one main kitchen appliance, think prep or main sink, microwave, warming drawer or wine cooler.
3. Bathroom mirrors get an identity by ditching the bland plate glass vanity mirror.
5. Bedrooms with a feature wall. Think beyond just painting your walls with a color. Think a rustic wood plank wall or a bold pattern wallpaper behind the bed.